Sunday, September 19, 2010

Mini Mushroom & Sausage Quiches

I'm always looking for new healthy breakfast ideas because so far they've been pretty hard to find. Everytime I search for breakfast recipes that are low in calories it usually consists of yogurt with fruit and granola (yuck! never been a yogurt fan). I came across this recipe from eatingwell.com and it sounded pretty good. It makes 12 mini quiches (made in regular cupcake tins, not mini-cucake tins). I followed the recipe pretty close and only made a few changes. Also, since a tube of sausage is 14 oz. and the recipe only calls for 8 oz., I simply doubled the recipe so I wouldn't waste any. I made a dozen mini quiches and one regular size quiche. I will make this recipe again, but I will not put the turkey sausage in it. The sausage tasted too strong for me (almost a strong herb flavor). Instead I will add a little more cheese to it and serve it with a side of turkey bacon.

Recipe tips and changes:
  • Use a thin regular spatula when cooking the turkey sausage. I tried to use a wooden spoon and it just stuck together and was hard to work with.
  • I used part-skim mozzerella instead of swiss cheese to cut calories
  • I used 1 cup egg beaters instead of the 5 regular eggs to get rid of cholesterol
  • I used skim milk, not 1%

Mini Mushroom & Sausage Quiches Recipe
8 ounces turkey breakfast sausage, removed from casing and crumbled into small pieces
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
5 eggs
3 egg whites
1 cup 1% milk

1.Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Coat a nonstick muffin tin generously with cooking spray.

2.Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl to cool. Add oil to the pan. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer mushrooms to the bowl with the sausage. Let cool for 5 minutes. Stir in scallions, cheese and pepper.

3.Whisk eggs, egg whites and milk in a medium bowl. Divide the egg mixture evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle a heaping tablespoon of the sausage mixture into each cup.

4.Bake until the tops are just beginning to brown, 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Place a rack on top of the pan, flip it over and turn the quiches out onto the rack. Turn upright and let cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment