Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Crystal's Chocolate Chip Cookies

I've looked at several chocolate chip cookie recipes and they're pretty much all the same, with little variations. Most of them only substitute one ingredient to make it healthier, but I thought 'why not substitute as many as you can?' So that's exactly what I did. I didn't know how they were going to turn out or if they would even be edible but I gave it go! When they came out I noticed they didn't flatten out on their own, so next time I will flatten them out a little myself instead of keeping them in a 'ball' form. They actually tasted pretty good. The dough part is more of a bread consistancy, but all the taste comes from the Ghiradelli chips (which are great!). My recipe came out to making 2 dozen cookies and 73 calories per cookie, which is a pretty big drop from 130-250 calories a cookie. I will definitely be making this recipe again.


Crystal's Chocolate Chip Cookies
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup light butter, softened
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/3 cup Stevia (a natural sweetener)
1/3 cup brown sugar (not packed)
1/4 cup egg beaters
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup Ghiradelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
 
1.Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.

2.Grind oats in a blender. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in flour, baking soda and salt. Beat butter in a large bowl. Add unsweetened applesauce, Stevia, brown sugar, eggbeaters and vanilla; beat until smooth. Continue mixing and add the dry ingredients slowly, beating on low speed until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

3.Using a cookie scoop, drop batter onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake cookies for about 12 minutes. Cool the cookies for 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment