Friday, September 17, 2010

Goat Cheese Grits with Fresh Corn

I was really excited about trying out this recipe I found at EatingWell.com. I love grits, goat cheese, and corn, so why not mix them all together! It was extremely simple (and quick!) to make which is a definite plus for all of us 'non-cookers' in a hurry. For anyone not familiar with goat cheese, it has an almost cream cheese texture. This recipe called for crumbled goat cheese and the kind I bought came in a 'tube-shaped' form so I simply crumbled it with my fingers (very easy to do). I thought the recipe would make a little bit more than it did, but it was still enough for me and my husband. Jarrod didn't really like it. He's not a huge fan of goat cheese and said it seemed to be more of a "girly" dish (and I kind of have to agree with him on that one). I had to add extra salt and pepper to mine because the recipe didn't call for much and in my opinion, grits always needs a good bit of salt.

I am definitely going to make this recipe again but only if I'm cooking for myself. I also will add another ear of corn in it to enhance the sweetness and sautee'd shrimp would be a good addition as well. All in all it was a fun dish to try!
Goat Cheese Grits with Fresh Corn Recipe
3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup quick grits (not instant)
1 cup fresh corn kernels (1 large ear of corn)
3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (3 ounces), divided
1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh chives or scallion greens
 
Bring water, salt and pepper to a boil in a large saucepan. Slowly pour in grits, stirring constantly. Stir in corn; return to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook, stirring once or twice, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in half the goat cheese and let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in chives (or scallions). Serve each portion sprinkled with some of the remaining cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment