Sunday, September 19, 2010

Baked Zucchini Coins

When I found this recipe I got super excited! Jarrod and I love zucchini and cook it just about 4 or 5 times a week, so I loved the idea of having a new and different way of cooking it. This recipe is basically how to make 'fried zucchini' without the fat or calories of deep frying, but I have to say, I was very disappointed. When they came out of the oven they looked great, but as soon as we tried them we instantly didn't really like them. I expected the center to be a little crispy like the outside but instead it was very soft. The only way I was able to eat them was to dip them in ranch dressing which completely takes away the whole reason for not frying them. They almost tasted a bit like fried okra....only with a mushy center. I will not be trying this recipe again.
Baked Zucchini Coins Recipe
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
freshly ground pepper
2 zucchini
1 egg
olive oil

1. Mix flour, cornmeal, salt, basil and pepper on a plate.
2. Beat egg in a small bowl.
3. Slice zucchini into 1/4" thick coins
4. Dip zucchini into egg and then into cornmeal mixture.
5. Coat a parchment lined cookie sheet with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Arrange zucchini coins on cookie sheet and back at 425 for about 10 minutes per side, until golden brown.
6. Serve with bottled blue cheese or ranch dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment